Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Job interview at Microsoft for Content access and Protection team

Well, I had a job interview at Microsoft today. One of the Volt reps set it up for me with the Content Access and Protection team, to execute Manual and Automated tests and maintain pools of machines. I thought it went fairly well up until the whiteboard test.

I was given a scenario to diagnose I believe it was the Expedia website. He created a diagram of a web server with two SQL database servers one containing web content and the other searches and other related content. Then he told me that customers had reported that they would go to the site and would get a page not found error page.

So I started fumbling around trying to figure out how to diagnose such a problem. I thought Hardware and brought that up. He said what if you don't have access to the hardware? So I thought of Remote access. And he asked what if you don't have remote access? I thought of Pinging the server. He said okay you ping the server and it comes back okay but the page still doesn't show up. I thought is it only the main page that isn't working? He said that the main page comes back with no page found and the flight page comes back with some of the content such as pictures as missing. Okay, that sounded like the content database is corrupted or the interface between the database and the web server is broken intermittently.

Well the interview ended shortly after this. He went to talk to his boss and then returned to tell me that I would find out in a day or two if I had the job. Then he escorted me back to the lobby. On the way I mused over the problem and remarked about it and he said he just wanted to see how I would diagnose such a situation.

A couple of hours later the Volt Rep called and asked how the interview went. I really wasn't sure. So he sent off his email and a couple of hours later called me back to say that I just wasn't what they were looking for. Oh well. He said he submitted me for another position we'll see if anything turns out.

No comments: