Thursday, January 8, 2009

Waiting for Win7

Ooh! Windows 7 public Betta is supposed to be available for download on Friday. I'm excited, I can't wait to get my hands on the beta OS. I've played around with the Alpha a little at work; that felt snappier than Vista, even on a VM. The Beta is supposed to be even more refined and faster, and I would love to see how much faster it runs on my machines.

IE8 is part of the release, I'm looking forward to seeing if my bar code bug has been fixed. I have heard that bugs involving bar codes might have a surprisingly high priority with the team.

I think I would like to load Win7 on both computers, so I can try out the new Home group network feature. It would be nice to be able to have full network access between computers without the less-than-necessary passwords. I don't particularly enjoy having password protected log-ins at home, especialy with the laptop I have connected to the TV to watch shows on Hulu.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Windows 7 is looking impressive. I'm glad microsoft is getting their act together with this one. Not enough to get me to swith from the Mac, but since I support PCa at work it'd be nice to have to not support Vista.

Shkyrockett said...

Yeah? Hmm.

It's interesting, even at work people are treating Windows 7 with more excitement. Months after Vista was released people were dragging their feet avoiding installing it.

This time around there is lots of early addoption. Even the one guy on the team who is a big Mac guy at home was the first in the team to install it on his work notebook; after having avoiding Vista completely.

The new taskbar/superbar looks like it might take some getting used to though.