Saturday, August 22, 2009

Photo Tags

There are two graphics applications I use on occasion which automatically scan through photos and identify faces. They are Google's Picasa and Microsoft's Windows Live Photo Gallery. They both have their own unique uses and they are both getting better, but every time I move to a different computer or install a new operating system I find myself doing the same thing all over again.

On my little network hard drive I have tens of thousands of photos must of which are of people. Right now I can remember who many of them are, some I have forgotten their names already, but I want to make sure I keep track of who the people are. I've started a few times tagging people and adding comments to pictures, but then I go on to another computer only to discover the information was stored on the first machine only.

Windows Live Photo Gallery has built in tagging of people which is nice, the auto identification could be improved however. The manual tagging is almost as good as FaceBook. Actually it would be nice to be able to sync to FaceBook and other accounts to help identify who someone is, as it is now the only option is a Windows Live account.

Picasa doesn't seem to be able to locate people using just the installed application, but it can when the photo is put online and the identification online is actually pretty good, but I don't want to put all of my pictures online, I don't have enough space available for that on my account for that and I'm not wiling to shell out to get more right now.

What I wish would happen is they would write the tags directly into the photo's metadata so that it travels with the photo. And it would be nice if they used a method that would be interoperable between applications so that you could identify someone in one application and it could be associated as the same person in another application. Okay, that might be a near impossible idea but it would sure be nice.

No comments: