Tuesday, June 12, 2007

More Browser Wars are acoming

Hmm. Apple has released a beta for their browser, Safari for Windows. I'm a little torn about it.

For one thing, in my own oppinion, Apple has never really gotten the hang of programming, quality software for Windows. I don't trust ITunes or QuickTime on PC for that reason.

But I am hopeful that if the rendering is identical on PC as it is on Mac, that I won't have to buy a Mac to test web pages for Mac. Wouldn't it be great to have "One Machine to test them all! Mhaw ha, ha, hah. Oh."

On the side of competition, I don't really know how much good it will do. It will certainly be something to watch.

On a side note to the subject, apparently hackers have, within two hours or release, come up with ways to compromise a system running Safari for Windows. It is after all only Beta.

I'm a little hesitant to download it yet. But from the screenshots I have seen, the style they are touting is; the very style I have grown so annoyed at with Itunes and QuickTime. I am one of those that don't like it when someone arbitrarily skins their application for "Cool" not taking into consideration that "I want uniform conformity to my system styling". Brushed metal simply doesn't look as good on every Theme.

You know, I think I am starting to see a trend to Apple's products of late. They are building up a reputation for high end hardware more and more... They are in the process of switching from Motorola to the more Windows friendly Intel Chipsets... Their newest Systems now run Windows Vista... They are starting to port software to Windows... They are making fun of PCs.. Wait that one doesn't quite fit.

Okay I foresee the day Microsoft will make the OS of the Mac. Apple will make applications and high end hardware, as well as their now favorite mobile hardware. Well, who realy knows, only time will tell.

Okay, enough of my opinion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If for some reason Apple gives up on developing for OSX and Mac users all the sudden have to start using Windows, may God have mercy on us all. As a Mac user, the OS is my main reason for using a Mac. I'd rather use Linux than switch to Windows. And yes, Apple software on Windows doesn't make much sense to me. I guess it is necessary for Apple to port iTunes to Windows so PC users can buy music from the iTunes store and sync their iPods. We wouldn't want the Zune to be their only option. :)

Shkyrockett said...

Indeed. it is not likely to happen. I honestly find it a bit of a disapointment that Apple refuses to permit their OS to be run on anything but a Mac. But that is how Apple is able to keep system stability, by requiring Programers and Hardware manufactures to be licenced and by carefully monitoring What hardware can be used and who can Program on it.

After all, there is a general rule, the more options you have in a product, the more possible points of failure you can have.