Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rebooting a Remote Machine

It is quite common for me at work to be remoting into a computer working on it and realize I need to reboot it for one reason or another only the machine I'm remoting into is a client OS (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7) that has the reboot icon removed from the start menu in the remote desktop window.

If the machine is under my desk I can just switch over to it to reboot or hard reboot with the button on the front but sometimes the machine is in another room in another building in another city in another state or another country. Then I have no access to the physical machine.

On occasion if I'm using a Lab machine they will have some interface that I can use to reboot but not always. So what do you do?

It's actually quite simple, open up an elevated command window and run the following command:

Shutdown /r /t 0

The flag to restart is /r, then the flag /t plus a number sets the time delay before the command restarts the machine, a value of "0" reboots immediately.

For more information on this command run "Shutdown /?" from a command prompt.

No comments: